Saturday, May 16, 2009

Essay by Rex: January 2003

January 28, 2003. 2:55 PM Pacific Standard Time... 3:55 PM Mountain Standard

I held my cellphone as close to my head as possible without smashing the ear shut. If I was careful, held my head a certain way while plugging the unused ear with a finger, and if no construction workers happened to start a power tool within the next few minutes, I might hear the 'ceremony' take place.

I had about 16 hours notice via phone call from my baby, my 18 year old daughter Heidi, engaged for about 3 months to Nathan, an 18 year old, unemployed Catholic from Missouri. They had decided to move up their wedding day from June to January. Since it is at least a 10 hour drive in the best of conditions and with such short notice, I said I wouldn't be attending. I asked if there was "a bun in the oven." No? Good.
I would say that neither of my other 2 daughters were "overjoyed" at their younger sister's decision ... OR taste. My "ex" who I have nicknamed "Hurricane" for obvious reasons, apparently wasn't too thrilled either. Funny that her whole reason to move to Utah was to be around a better society of people with better standards. Oh, and to get away from me. Amazing that with all the Mormons in town, my daughter picks a Catholic, a backsliding one at that. I did get a bit of satisfaction when I sent Hurricane a rare email saying, "We are reaping what we have sown. Hope you are happy."

I was insulated from all the preliminary ceremonial stuff except for several phone updates from Rachel and ultimately assisting with the funding of the festivities.
There had been a frenzy of activity to pull this 'quickie' off. Getting a license, lining up a Justice of the Peace, going to a few places to get some decorations, refreshments, a cake. This event appeared to have the surprise of an elopement with all the hassles of a real, planned wedding. Just condensed down into several hours' time. Eliminate most of the guest list ... and voila ... two 18 year old kids who don't know a thing about life other than sensing the rage of hormones would soon be "one" in holy matrimony.


At the other end of the call, Rachel, my eldest daughter was pulling double duty by being Maid of Honor and holding the cellphone. If she was close enough to the Justice of the Peace the chances of me "being there" were greatly improved. Of course a mental image would have helped so Rachel served as my "color" commentator.
She said the blessed event, [scheduled for 4:00 PM Mountain Standard Time and taking place on January 28, 2003] was at the Justice's St. George, Utah home in the living room. He was wearing an official looking robe and because of his advanced age was standing in front of his 'walker'.
Those attending were the bride, Heidi, age 18, and the groom, Nathan, age 18 and currently/chronically unemployed. Debbie and Gary Elder, parents of the groom. "Hurricane" Carson, mother of the bride. Others in attendance: Rachel (Maid of Honor) and Aubrey, the bride's sisters. The groom's Best Man, Kaden, age 17 (and thus being a minor, unable to sign the papers as a witness. He HAS been able to 'witness' some hecka cool skateboard tricks done by the groom though.)
Also attending was Christy, the groom's sister and her significant other, Anna. Don't ask. Of the 4 younger adopted siblings of the groom, the two youngest, adolescent girls, were there. The two mid-teen boys are both currently in Detention, a.k.a. Juvenile Hall or they would have gladly attended.
It was like some bad TV commercial where a cellular phone service provider is trying to promote it's service as if "It's almost like being there!" In my head I could almost hear a crappy, upbeat music jingle. I could imagine the TV screen showing 'homey' surroundings, flower arrangements, lot's of smiling faces of family and friends. There would be a general excitement in passing around a phone so everyone can "participate", and a soul satisfying contentment felt by all. A Norman Rockwell moment, really...
Promptly at 4:00 PM the Justice of the Peace began. I could hear a distinguished baritone voice with that southern Utah twang in it. The man had probably performed dozens or hundreds of these ceremonies. Some probably within the walls of the House of the Lord a few blocks away. He spoke the words one normally hears at such informal occasions and offered some counsel and advice.
The "I Do's" were completed, then a kiss. The time was now 4:07 PM. I heard some sniffling sounds and figured it was allergy season in the High Desert. I could tell there was hugging and other stuff going on.
I stood by my tablesaw trying to realize that my youngest daughter was now married and that I was going to take a step back from her life and let her wobble off on her own as if she were on a two wheel bicycle for the first time. Now someone else was at her side.
A bitter disappointment came to mind because I knew I hadn't really been by her side for over 9 years. I wasn't allowed. Even when I really tried to be there in one way or another, obstacles were thrown in front of me. It will take a lifetime to sort it out in my head and heart. I will still try. That is all I can think to do. Only now, she has an additional resource (I sincerely hope) in Nathan. Maybe the two of them will be good for each other.
I was still on the phone listening to a family milestone event that normally is filled with joy, emotion and imprints itself in one's mind for all time. Rachel handed the phone to Heidi and I congratulated her and told her I loved her. She told me she was so happy and that she loved me too. I knew she meant it because for over nine years I had not heard it from her. For over nine years when I would say it to her upon a departure or at the end of a phone call, there was no response, in kind. For most of those years even getting her to come to the phone was near impossible. When they announced their engagement in late September we had a long chat and she finally said it. Since she waited so long I knew it was not a phrase she just tossed around lightly.
Later there was a small reception at the "House that Hurricane Built." In addition to those already mentioned, Heidi's Grandparents showed up and a couple other friends. Rachel told me later that she saw Nathan's sister Christy and her significant other, Anna in a quick "lip lock" on the couch at the reception at Hurricane's house. Ah, romance is in the air...
Nothing like a wedding to make everyone all mushy inside ... and especially so close to St. Valentine's Day.

Rachel suggested an ending to this essay and I thought it was perfect.

"Blank VHS tape: $3.00
Bouquet of fresh daisies: $25.00
Refreshments for 20: $76.00
Cake: $35.00
One Night Honeymoon including a Personal Chef: $185.00
Knowing your 18 year old daughter isn't pregnant and getting married anyway: PRICELESS.

Keeping Up the Blog - I'd like to see...