Friday, May 7, 2010

Rex the Gardener: Yahoo Answers



I recently found this answer Dad wrote for a question someone asked on Yahoo Answers about saving tomato seeds to plant for the next season. I found it interesting.

Written in 2008

Question: Is it possible to save tomato seeds for later planting?
Answer by McBrex:
Yes, I've done this. Saved some seeds from tomatoes I've especially enjoyed the flavor, texture, or size of. I've done this even from restaurants. I'll simply wrap some seeds up in a paper napkin, writing basic info on the who, what, where, when characteristics of the fruit and put it in a zip lock bag. Then keep it with my other seeds and garden supplies. If the tomato is an old standard variety, sometimes known as an "heirloom" you should have success. If the tomato is of a hybrid variety, you will be disappointed. The plant will grow... it may bloom... and even bear fruit but chances are the tomato will be different from what you remember the dining experience being. You will have invested a lot of time, energy and garden space for not much of a payoff. Whole cherry or plum sized, salad bar varieties have worked for me. One variety I loved would grow as a volunteer every year in my garden. It would just be in a different spot, where ever the seeds had ended up during fall clean up. I'd have to keep an eye out for the little plants while prepping the soil each spring.

At my craziest, I had 30 tomato plants growing, several varieties. After a while my neighbors didn't even want to answer their door because I was giving away bags full. You may be bordering on being a nut... like me about gardening.


Information Source(s):

Sites? Well, my garden sites at my various homes over the last 54 years. Credit or blame goes to my mom who, in her mid 70s still needs to "garden" every year. She made me help in the garden as a kid. Guess I caught the bug from her. I still have to help her which is fun. Then there's my own garden if there's time and also help my grown oldest daughter who is a gardening nut when not caring for her one year old twin daughters. Her husband doesn't speak 'garden' like some of us.

Keeping Up the Blog - I'd like to see...